Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shamrocks and Butterflies

Today is St. Patrick's Day. It's a weird 'holiday' because I think it's the saint who converted the Irish from the Pagan religion to Christianity. I think...if my memory serves me correctly. I have no idea what shamrocks have to do with religion but like all things that become mainstream...it becomes a thing of its own and well...you can either accept it or not. Being here in Ireland for this particular day has been quite amusing. Most of the people I've met here or spoke with really don't 'celebrate' it. What I've noticed is that it's become so commercialized....so capitalistic. During my stay here, I have come to open my eyes a little at that realization. Just like the hustlers in New York, LA and the like....they're here, too....except well...they'll do it in an Irish accent and call you 'love'. It's endearing really...but then under the veil of a beautiful countryside...with gorgeous trees and landscape, fairy rings and bright shiny shamrocks...it's a country governed by a corrupt system, a starving economy, a heavy conservative religious society, anti-abortion rights and very little protection for women outside of marriage (more on that later).

I don't think I wanted to see that. I certainly did not think I would ever write those words and affiliate them with Ireland. And please don't get me wrong...this trip has been amazing! The pictures truly don't do it justice...

However....

I am a writer...as you know this....and I write what I see, how I see it...and thank goodness for that right...

I'm glad I didn't come with expectations...well, I'm lying...I did come with some...but overall...I've met soo many amazing people..and some of the sites truly did take my breath away (and literally would have taken my breath...if I wasn't careful...hello Cliffs of Moher!).

It's like there's two of me. And two vacations. There's the part of me that wants to dance and flirt with the young boys...laugh and talk about the little things...tell funny stories and jokes....and then............there's the other part of me...that's having a deep, spiritual journey...and excavation of my soul....that's having these discussions late into the night about the past, future and present...the part of me that stares out the window into the garden wondering what my next step will be on my journey in Life...

I went up to my room yesterday and found this little butterfly on my book (The Good Fairies of New York..coincidence?). It looked so sad...its wings were listless and it wasn't flying about much so I made several attempts to cup it into my hands so I could set it outside. It took a few tries but I was successful. When I was out back in the garden, I opened my palms out and gently set it down onto the grass. It flexed its beautiful wings and flew up into the air...right up on the tree and I watched it go....with a smile on my face...

And that's how I started my day....

Fairplay, eh? :0)
Cheers.... <3

No comments: