Monday, March 9, 2009

Lost In Translation

Oh, my...what an eventful day...

Men are strange...not in a bad way...but yes, they're strange over here...

Went on a little walk mid-morning and ended up on a pathway leading to who knows where. On the path was an elderly man carrying a bunch of shopping bags in both hands. We said hellos to each other and he said something about how I was wearing black but the splashes of pink was quite fetching...so we exchanged the where are you froms and what's your names to the fact that he was an esoteric astrologer and next thing you know...I'm following him back to his house for a cup of tea. Our discussion led to not only western astrology, but chinese astrology and of course, spirituality and how he and his lovely partner Imogen came to be at Findhorn. It turns out they hold a full moon meditation celebration at their house and would I like to attend? :0) Considering it would be my last night at Findhorn, it felt so completely right...and what did you say? There will be music and poetry as well? Wow...it's like I'm home.......

and then it was time for me to catch my bus to Cluny...and while waiting for my bus I catch a glimpse of Elliott sitting w/ someone having a smoke...so I go sit with him for a bit and tell him how I met Errol, the esoteric astrologer...and he said he knows...then he invites me to dinner and all I could do is just look at him and say yes...

On my way to Cluny to meet up with Keith for tea. Saw Stan sitting on the bench having lunch. After two years and only knowing me for a week or so, he remembered me (and I, of course, remembered him...he's featured in my Scotland story called The Dance) and we had a lovely conversation overlooking the rich green fields that seemed to glow under the sunlight...he found Keith for me and we sat in the sitting room overlooking the flower beds. After some time, we went for a walk behind Cluny Hill College and he told me some amazing stories about a Fairie procession he witnessed. !!! We then went past the cemetary onto a little path that led to a small lake. There were ducks, swans, fairy bridges, oak trees, neon green moss, a light drizzle amidst the sunlight and a kissing gate. We spoke openly about our families and our own difficult spiritual journeys...and I realized how special my English Vegan friend is...and how extremely grateful I was to have him in my life.

We walked back and had more tea and then in a blink of an eye...it was time for me to catch my bus back to The Park. It certainly didn't seem like 4 hours had passed but that's how time works here in the magical Vortex of Findhorn.

I got back just in time to get ready and meet Elliot for dinner (What? Me pass up free food? Never!)

What I love most about being here is the amount of energy and love and awareness that is put in everything...to making the food, to cleaning a table, to planting or weeding the vegetable garden...there is so much love..it really makes it very difficult to leave...but then I realize that it's not my time to stay yet...so...

Dinner was brown rice and yellow curry w/ cabbage salad..it was quite good! Much better than that horrible food attempting to pass for a Thai dish in Ireland. Beware my friends! Irish food isn't soo good...at least not in Galway...not what I'm used to...although the food at Food 4 Thought is awesome...their Vegan Sheperd's pie is amazing! :0)

My time with Elliott was enjoyable, amusing and much too short. I don't know how we got sectioned off to a table...away from everyone else...but that's how it ended up...and we talked of little things...funny stories and about my stay here......and then it was time...he had a meeting to attend and I was still eating my dinner...so we hugged and he whispered in my ear, "Next time you're here, make sure you stay longer and I'm single..."
I was taken aback and I just smiled...shook my head and walked up to another table to sit down...trying not to think about what he just said to me too much...

Then, I head back to the Ecohouse and it's the nightly ritual of checking my email and facebook. My friend Filippo (whom I call the 1st Italian) is online and since I don't speak much Italian w/ the exception of Ciao Bello, Andeamo, Gratzi and some curse words involving assholes.... and he doesn't speak much English..... we speak in Spanish...and my oh my...I'm learning new things every day.....
the final chapter of this blog is how translations get misconstrued and when I was chatting with him via IM, I sent a <3 (which is typical Athena, right?) but he didn't know what that meant so he inquired about it. So, I literally said to him in Espanol: corazon, heart...which he replied with: Wow! Para mi? Which caused me to panic! Oh, great! Here's this lovely Italian boy in Ireland who now thinks I'm professing my undying love to him...that's just great, right?! Uhhh...nnnnnooooooooo!

So then, I write in English (which, of course, he did not understand at all!) that it was meant as a symbol, not that I was giving my heart to him which would be a very difficult thing to do unless you're a really good cook. He asked me to translate in Spanish..and I was like: How the fuck do you relay that in Spanish...simplistically? My solution?

<3 = xoxo y mucho amor y besos..comprende, si?

That did the trick....I wasn't being married off to some young hot Italian guy I randomly met in Galway...whew!

It's funny how that one little symbol could be completely misconstrued because of a language barrier! Oh...the things I'm learning each and every day on this trip...!! :0)

So, how do you say in Italian: you're cute...wanna snuggle?

;0)

hahahahahahahahaha

<3<3<3

No comments: