Friday, July 17, 2009

A Letter to.........

Dear Mxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for entrusting me with your writing. Truth be told, 'The Palestine Papers' is a haunting, intense, overwhelming journey through words that one excitedly goes on...again and again...

I was laying in the Vortex after coming home from work the other day. My arms were stretched out on either side of me and I was staring out the window...looking up at blue skies and white cotton clouds. In the middle of my daydreaming, excerpts from your piece found their way inside my head. The headstrong Palestinian woman who had her house bombed. The children with their cries of anger and resentment towards the American government. Your compassionate and emotional response.

There are many things that happened to me after I read your email (with attachments) in its entirety.

It took every ounce of my energy to not just walk out on my job. At that moment. However, perhaps because of my past experience(s) and new found wisdom....I opted to instead,
re-confirm my reasons for coming back here and utilize my situation to the best of my ability (i.e. fax machines, Internet use, email access, printers, copiers, etc).

Oh, what...you didn't know Shed Your Skin had corporate sponsorship from WxxPxxxx?

Yeah, they didn't know and still don't. :0)

I'm working so I can make money and go traveling again. To continue my work of sharing information, connecting and communicating with others.

I plan on a trip to the 'Motherland' in either December 2010 or the early part of 2011. I've contacted the Gabrielas http://www.gabnet.org/(the largest group of women activists in the Philippines) to seek out their help in being part of a documentary I'll be working on. The premise being my journey from the US to P.I. I plan to volunteer at an orphanage as well as with the Gabrielas and hopefully train at one of the many Filipino Kali/Escrima martial art facilities in Cebu. Not only will I be documenting this visually, I will be (of course) capturing it in my journal with plans for a book release as well.

Your piece was somewhat of a catalyst. There was a part of me that wanted to follow in your footsteps...but, I felt more of a pull to do this first. It makes sense because...this experience (I'm sure) will bring a better understanding of who I am and where I came from. I may have been born in Oakland, California but my roots were long planted in a place that my father has always referenced as 'Back Home'.

I also wanted to share how much inspiration I drew from your piece. You upped the amp, my friend...and..as you know...there are many battlegrounds to choose from. Still have your bow and arrow? 'Cuz I may need it when the bullets from my guns run out and all I've got left are my fighting sticks, sword....and words. I plan on using all of these 'weapons' on this trip and probably for the rest of my life....

I miss our conversations, mon ami.
Perhaps, if it's written in the stars and the planets are aligned in the right way...we'll see each other again...

Mahalkita
-Athena

No comments: