Monday, March 8, 2010

Too many

"It's happened before..."
"He cut me off from my friends and family..."
"He hit me while I was pregnant..."
"He was so nice in the beginning...I don't know what happened..."

Domestic violence happens everywhere. Not just in war torn countries, or in poverty-stricken urban areas. Sometimes, it's down the street. Sometimes, it's in your neighborhood.

The one time is one time too many.

Unfortunately, it's usually not just the one time.

The quotes above are just parts of conversations I've had with women (some I know personally)
sharing their horrific tales of abuse. Some make excuses because they've been so physically and psychologically abused that they, at times, think it's their fault.

"It was my fault...if only I hadn't done...."
"He was just so drunk and I shouldn't have aggravated him..."
"He had a bad childhood, he doesn't know any better..."

I write this today, to raise awareness on this issue, to express my solidarity with these women and to tell them that they are not alone, that they have help available and that it's okay to reach out...

I want to say there is courage in each and every one of them...whether they're aware of it or not.

It is not any easy subject to discuss and it's not any easier writing about it. However, I simply cannot ignore this. Time and time again, I am faced with hearing stories from countless women on their undertakings, their own journey of self-depracation and denial. I hope for an awakening for them. That, if they are ready...that they can move towards healing and an understanding but it will take some work. That is, perhaps in a convoluted twist, a 'best case scenario'.

A 'worst case scenario' is succinctly the exact opposite and the abuse continues again and again.

Why is it that some of these men continue to abuse?

Why do the women (often times) stay in the relationship?

How many more do we not know about?

How many more women are subjected to this abuse?

When will it end?

What can we do?

If you know of anyone that needs help, please have them contact:

U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233
http://www.ndvh.org/

For references and info, please check this link:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

I also hope for the men to wake up, too....that they discontinue the cycle of abuse.
We also need their help in putting an end to this.

With compassion, strength and forgiveness...
<3

No comments: